Description

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Tamagoyaki


Alright. A BIG request that I get is for tamago. So I've finally put together a tutorial on how to make tamagoyaki, the kind of eggs that you see at the sushi bars. There will be more cooking tutorials to come, so keep checking in, or follow this blog to get updates.

Here, you see me make the traditional version, with a rectangular pan. You can use a regular circular pan, but it won't quite look the same.

Things you'll need:
a pan (buy one here)
oil for the pan (with optional brush)
4 eggs
mixing bowl
1 Tbls. mirin: sweet rice wine
~1/4 tsp salt
~ 1 tsp soy sauce (amount depends on your taste)
1/2 cup water
dashi stock (called hondashi, see picture on right)

The great thing about tamagoyaki is that you can add ingredients between the layers to make omelets. Below is one of my bento boxes with a spinach tamagoyaki:


Doesn't that make you hungry? Well, I hope you give this recipe a try. Check out the video, and if you need assistance, there's a chat box on the right side of this blog! Till next time: TTFN!

1 comment:

Aisling said...

It was this video in youtube that brought me to your blog, and I'm so glad it did! My husband gave me a rectangular pan as an anniversary gift, and though I was overjoyed, I didn't know too well how to use it.

Thanks again!

E.L.F. Cosmetics offers:

Beautychoice.com

Summer Specials!