Description

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Bright Eyes: How to look like you rested well, even if you didn't



So, sometimes we just don't get enough sleep. Maybe we were up studying, maybe updating our blog, maybe partying, maybe you just couldn't sleep. Everyone has their reasons. So you wake up in the morning and look in the mirror and realize you look terrible. You also just remembered that today you're supposed to meet with your boss, or you have class with that cute guy, or you're meeting your boyfriend's parents. First impression is everything. Well, here is a makeup look that will brighten the eye area without looking over-the-top. This is not a dramatic look. You can make it dramatic if you add more makeup, but as it's presented here, it's meant to look natural.

OK, so first off, always begin with a good skin care regimen. You need a clean slate. Since you're waking up in the morning, you should have already washed you face last night, but you need to wash it in the morning too. A freshly washed face will have a fresher appearance. I use Exuviance products. I love them. A skin care regimen should include the following:

  • Cleanser: I have an antibacterial cleanser that I use at night to kill any bacteria that may infect my pores while I sleep. I have a gentle, almost lotion-like cleanser for the morning to add extra moisture to my skin to give it a supple feel. When cleansing, start with WARM water, not HOT. The warm water will open your pores and allow the cleanser to do it's job. After rinsing off your cleanser, make a final rinse in cool water. This will close your pores back up and closed pores create a smoother skin surface.
  • Toner: This adds moisture to your face underneath the moisturizer and tones the skin. For best results, apply it while your face is still damp from towel blotting to hold in more moisture.
  • Moisturizer: Again, you should have 2: one for night and one for day. The daytime should have SPF protection. The nightime one should have plenty of restorative elements like amino acids, polyhydroxy acids, etc.
  • Eye Cream: Regular moisturizre is too heavy for the delicate area under your eyes. I use an uplifting formula to help reduce puffiness and wrinkles.
  • I have a few other skin care items that I use only occasionally: blemish medication, anti-wrinkle serum, a peel-off mask to exfoliate and a bionic tonice to awaken the skin.
Now that that's established, the next step is foundation. Foundation will even out the skin tone and give your skin a velvety-smooth appearance. All my makeup is mineral makeup from either Bare Minerals or Everyday Minerals. Use what you prefer. Apply foundation all over the face.

I then take a mixture of a lighter foundation (one shade lighter than my real foundation) and mix it with a highlighting powder and apply it under the eyes. This really brightens that area up. I don't make it a habit of buying two shades of foundation, however, Everyday Minerals offers free samples of their makeup, so I ordered a sample size of a lighter foundation, since I won't use it that much.

Now for blush. For a flushed, rested look, I use a nice rosy color with just a little light-carrying shimmer. This will also lighten the face. Apply to the apples of your cheeks and blend out. You'll begin to see a healthy glow.

The eyes are the most important part of this look. It's the first thing people notice. Eyes are the window to the soul. To brighten up the eyes and make them look wide open, I use a white eye shadow and apply it to the wet of the eye on the lower lid. Do this carefully! Eyes are delicate. You could use eyeliner, but I like the effect of the powder because some of it will fall between the lashes and make a glow under and behind the bottom lashes that adds a little more reflection. I also like to highlight the brow bones. The lid color can be anything you want.

I then apply a finishing powder to set everything in place and give it that flawless look. Do this before applying mascara. Otherwise, you'll end up with white dust stuck to your lashes.

Apply mascara. I use black. Start at the base of the lashes and wiggle left and right as you move to the tip of the lashes. Cover the bottom lashes well. The more pronounced your bottom lashes are, the more wide-eyed you will look.

Lastly, apply some lip gloss in a natural color and your good to go!

Enjoy your refreshed look! My philosophy is "fake it till you feel it!"

No comments:

E.L.F. Cosmetics offers:

Beautychoice.com

Summer Specials!