Description

Saturday, June 27, 2009

My Grandma


In exactly one week (July 4th), the entire United States will celebrate its 233rd anniversary of declaring independence. Since most of my family lives in the US, we'll be celebrating this as well. However, we'll also be celebrating something more important to us, the 89th birthday of my grandmother (on my mom's side).

She's the only grandparent I've ever known because all the other 3 died before I was even born. Not only that, she was there to watch me be born and even to help raise me. To this day, I find it a treat to eat ramen noodles for breakfast. Odd I know, but every morning, my grandma would wake up early and make ramen noodles on the stove for me. Then she'd pack it into a tupperware, and I'd take it to school with me. I always got to school really early because my dad was a teacher (at another school that opened earlier) and had to drop me off at school before it officially opened. So I had the school to myself for 2 hours every morning. I'd arrive at school and the janitors would let me into the cafeteria. Then I would take out my packed ramen noodles and enjoy every bite.

I also remember how much she loved to play cards, especially solitaire or go fish. We'd play go fish together for hours. Unfortunately, her arthritis makes holding cards rather difficult know, but she likes to play sungka now, which is a filipino strategy game (more info here). Her arthritis also prevents her from one of her greatest skills: sewing. She's a master seamstress. Show her an outfit in a magazine and she could replicate it for you. I had so many homemade dresses when I was a little girl. I remember one especially cute sailor-inpired jumper. It was black and white plaid with a cute little red tie. I used to love watching her sew. To this day, I take great comfort in hearing scissors cutting fabric while resting on a table.

So anyhow, as for the celebration. We're having a big program for her and even renting a venue. There's supposed to be roasted big, and I'm sure plenty of other filipino delicacies. I finally picked the song I'm going to sing and I've been practicing hard. It's in tagalog, so it takes a little more time to memorize and I just staring memorizing yesterday...hehe... I had songs in mind, but the family wanted me to sing a tagalog song. There is always something so entertaining for filipions to see me singing tagalog songs. I'm just glad I've finally graduated from "Ang Pipit" to a more mature song. If anyone is interested in seeing my performance, perhaps I can video it and post it to my youtube.

Well, unfortunately, it back to work time for me, so TTFN!

2 comments:

Aisling said...

89th birthday, that's amazing! Say congratulations to your grandma for me!

I was lucky to get to know two of my grandparents; they´re gone now and missed greatly.

Please, please, pretty please, DO make a video of your performance in the party; tagalog is a language that I love and I've never heard you sing. I'm sure your fans would agree.

You look beautiful in your wedding picture, and so does your granma.
And BTW, your husband IS gorgeous!
:>

CKR said...

Haha, wow thanks, so much flattery in one comment... I'm not sure if my subscribers can be described as fans...haha, but I will post the performance since I got a few requests. Thanks for the comments about my family. My grandma is a beautiful woman, and she doesn't even look 89! And my hubby is very honored that you think he's gorgeous. (I told him the white tux with tails would look great... hee hee). It's good to give him a confidence boost. Believe it or not, he doesn't believe he's all that good looking... I think he's amazing inside and out (which is good since I married him...haha).

E.L.F. Cosmetics offers:

Beautychoice.com

Summer Specials!