Description

Thursday, July 23, 2009

New Hobby

I am picking up a new hobby: sewing. I know I don't really NEED a new hobby. I barely have time to breath anymore. But I grew up watching my mom and grandma sewing clothes from scratch, and I don't want to lose that culture. I've been in a sewing craze lately. I have all these ideas in my head, and no sewing machine to make them.

So began my hunt for a sewing machine. I checked the local listings in Craig's list and got a few hits. I found one I really wanted: a thirty year old Brother machine with a cabinet where the sewing machine can hide. It was $25. What a deal! So I had e-mailed the seller and talked back and forth. After speaking with the owner of the machine, I was satisfied that it was still in good shape, so I e-mailed the seller to say I wanted to pick it up. This time he didn't reply. Two days later, I sent another e-mail, and he replied that it had sold the day after I told him I wanted to schedule a time to pick it up...grrr...oh well.

So I moved on to another posting. This one seemed promising: $20 for a nearly brand new machine. The lady had bought it from someone else a few months back and never had a chance to use it, so she decided to give up the idea of learning. She had never even turned it on. I went to check it out, only to find that it didn't work AT ALL... Her speculation was that the pedal was broken because the previous owner had told her it "sticks". Well, a new pedal is $30 plus shipping... so moving on once more.

I e-mailed TONS of craigslisters and browsed through a zillion postings, then I was hit by a revelation. I should check the local Goodwill. So I went to the store, and lo and behold: a sewing machine... without an electric plug or outlet... crap. Even at $12, why would I spend on something I can't use... So then I thought, "What about Salvation Army?" There was a Salvation Army Thrift Store nearby, so I went to check it out only to find they were closed...at 6:30 pm on a Thursday... hmmm... Well, I found out later that their hours are 9 am - 5 pm, Mon-Sat. Well, that makes it difficult to even check if they have one. Then I remembered this miraculous thing called a PHONE! (Yeah, genius). I called and the lady said they had an old Singer sewing machine for $25. That piqued my interest. I couldn't make it there that evening, but maybe I could stop by Saturday afternoon. Well, that didn't work out either...Sunday, closed. Monday morning I was supposed to check out the Brother that turned out to be broken, and I didn't get home from work till 11 pm. So then, it was Tuesday. But I went to work really early that day and wasn't sure if I would be able to make it before the store closed. Lucky me, I was done early!

So I picked up my mom for her expert advice and we sauntered on down to the Salvation Army Thrift Store. I fell in love! It was amazing, and I want to share it with you...



It's a heavy, metal monster built in Italy. It runs like a stallion, and sounds so solid. The stitches are beautiful and it has all sorts of neat little features. You can actually set the maximum speed so that even if you press the pedal all the way down, it won't run away without you. *great for beginners* It has a reverse function, stick length control, three needle positions, drop in bobbin system, and zig-zag capabilities. It came with it's own carry case and some additional accessories too! I am very happy with my purchase. I brought it home, cleaned it and oiled it and babied it, and then it thanked me by helping me alter a $2 skirt to fit me perfectly! (I did some clothing shopping while I was at the Thrift Store).

Here are some pics of my new baby!



1 comment:

Sukidoll said...

Awesome, hope we get to see some of your stuff. And maybe even some tutorials :D

E.L.F. Cosmetics offers:

Beautychoice.com

Summer Specials!